Nel & Sula's talk started out quite formal and casual...but the more they spoke to each other, the more heated the conversation got. They started talking about loneliness and Sula said that her loneliness is her own and Nel has a secondhand loneliness which I totally get & which is true. I wonder what the whole purse thing was about and why Sula didn't have any money at all and why she made that face just as Nel was about to ask her where all her money was. Nel was a good person for not mentioning the fact that Sula didn't have the money to pay for her prescription and she took it upon herself to pay for it. That's a true friend I feel like. I definitely would've did it for one of my close friends...maybe even someone who isn't that close to me just because I love doing good deeds and making people feel good. It makes me feel good on the inside knowing that I could help someone in need. Maybe I SHOULD be a doctor like my mother said lol. Anyways, Nel seemed pretty hurt by Sula's reaction to the question, "why did you take Jude away from me?". Sula was just so nonchalant and apathetic towards the entire situation. She didn't feel any remorse nor regret. Nel constantly asked "what about me? Didn't my feelings matter at all to you? After all we've been through?" Sula calmly, and in more ways than one, told her "No. You didn't matter." I can only imagine how Nel felt. My mom and grandmother went through the same situation and my mother and grandmother were very close. My grandmother went to SC and got married to a guy that my mother was seeing regularly. Even though he was much older than my mom, it still didn't give my grandmother the right to do what she did. My mother asked her why she did it and my grandmother simply responded like "I don't know" with no type of sorry or I apologize in her face or voice. She didn't feel any sympathy towards my mother. She didn't think she was wrong for what she did. That hurt my mom deeply and even though shes completely over it NOW, I know it still stings in her heart a little bit when she thinks about how it all went down.
Sula dying was the saddest portion of the book in my opinion. At first, when Morrison was explaining her death, I didn't know what the hell was going on. It was talking about white dust and powdered liquid and I was reading it like "huh?!" but it clearly stated at the end of the chapter that she had died.

No comments:
Post a Comment