I found it very sad and disheartening when everyone at the end of the chapter died. All of those people: women, children, men, fell into the river trying to destroy the bridge across it because of their rage against whites for not hiring colored folks. All of this on Shadrack's Suicide Day on January 3rd. Smh...the part that caught my attention the most was when the book stated that the lady named Mrs. Jackson had slid down the bank and a piece of ice caught her in the mouth. I'm guessing it cut her mouth open or sliced her head...I thought that was ironic because she's always eating ice! Shadrack lived through all of that lol. That's crazy. Shadrack was grieving the death of his "friend" Sula after he found out about her death because he felt she was the only friend he had even though I had never read that they had any conversations with each other. Except that one time when she was a little girl and she ran into his house and he just said the word "Always" to her. Shadrack is crazy as hell. I feel like he needs to find a female companion and get on with life. Maybe he actually does have a severe mental illness because people that come back home from the war don't act THAT damn crazy. He's over the top with it. Sula's death wasn't a big surprise for me though because everyone else who had read ahead, told the damn book -_- whatever! That's a tragic story though. To die just because you are misunderstood. To die continuing to be misunderstood. Sula never really got to tell her side of the story to anyone but Nel. I guess Nel is the only person worth explaining herself to though. I sensed that Sula was misunderstood from the very beginning. And I feel like if Hannah had not said that she didn't like Sula and Sula overheard it, then she wouldnt have acted in the way that she did. Hearing your own mother that birthed you say things like that about you will put you in a depressing state. No one should ever have to go through that or hear that from their mom. It makes you feel unwanted and unloved just as Sula did. And you see where she ends up.
No comments:
Post a Comment